Thursday, March 25, 2010

Intervention?




So last night I get home and turn on the TV, just in time to catch the newest intervention show on TLC, called 'Addicted'. This episode was about Klea, a 19 year old  tweaker from Los Angeles, who is prostituting herself in order to maintain her drug habit. It made me sick, and as soon as they showed her smoking the meth I changed the channel. I don't know what about it sickens me. Maybe its because I have experienced being addicted and it hits home, but I seriously can't stand these shows. I have always thought that they exploit the addict/alcoholic as well as there families. Getting sober and staying sober is a very hard thing to do and I cannot even fathom hitting my 'rock bottom' on national television for the world to see. I totally understand what they are trying to do, but I just can't support them taping and making money off these peoples misfortunes. I do not think its entertainment and it makes me sad. I guess it may just be me since I have experienced things of this nature and it might be entertainment to those who have not experienced it first hand, but addiction is not something to play around with. Its life and death.

I tried to research the percent of people who actually stay sober after being on these shows, but I couldn't find any numbers. I can only hope that these people do stay sober and live happily ever after.


Here is a link to a video of Klea from the TLC show Addicted.

UpdateKlea is currently sober, studying to get her GED, and attends a  12 step meeting everyday.



What's your opinion on these shows? Do you think its just a fad and will eventually blow over or will people always want to watch shows like these?

1 comment:

  1. i know how you feel. i can't stand watching these types of shows. showing them actually smoke meth or shoot up. it hurts me...YUCK!

    ReplyDelete